We are always checking out the local Park and Rec activities and camps for the boys. Park and Rec is who we've put Eli in Soccer and Tball through so far, and this year Zach will get to join a soccer camp too, he's finally old enough! Zach starts his soccer camp at the end of the month, its the same camp that Eli's done since he was three. This year Eli is old enough to join a real team and leave those silly "soccer camps" behind, he starts the beginning of Sept. :) I will be sure to post his game schedules for everyone to come cheer him on!
Anyways, with Eli going into kindergarten this fall there has definatley been a little more panic happening on my end of things. Its a whole new ball game of safety issues that arrise in my controling mind. So when I came across "Safety Town", a camp put on by the Park and Rec and the Newberg/Dundee police department for $40..I had to sign him up. We went down to the Park and Rec office to sign him up, they were accepting 50 children...we were 51. I was so upset! So I begged to have them make a note that if someone cancelled to PLEASE let us know...this was a wednesday and the camp was starting the following monday, but on Friday I got a call! They told me that no one had cancelled but that since Eli was the only other child "begging" to be in camp, that they could take on just one more kid and make it a camp of 51 instead of 50...boy was I one grateful Mommy and thanked her over and over again. It was a week long camp, I dropped him off every morning at 9am and picked him back up at noon. His first day he was a little worried on our way but when we got there he said "you can leave now mommy, I thought it wasnt going to be fun but it is now". They learned every safety topic you can name! Everything from fire to electrical, walking, biking, strangers, and so on and so on. But by far my favorite experience he had of the week was the bus safety. He had been so excited all summer to ride a school bus to kindergarten, but this last few weeks he's been refusing saying he's not going to. Im not sure why or where it came from, other than he's been a cranky little boy. So the day that they learned about bus safety a bus came to camp, they rode around town on it and learned the safe way to ride one. He was so excited and told me all about everything he learned each day when I picked him up, but the day he rode the school bus was his most exciting. He's decided that the school bus IS cool, and he will ride it to school now that he knows how to do it safe. So he learned a ton all week long, had a great time making some new friends, has been teaching his brother some safety tips, and even came home with a few paranoid moments (one night thought all the kids were going to get shocked at my moms house playing by the plug in, another night he was playing Wii and started making a furball noise and said he had poison in his mouth but he really didnt). So $40 on Safety town definatley helped mommy feel more comfortable about shipping him off on a big school bus all alone without me shadowing behind to make sure he's ok. My big boy is growing up so fast.

No comments:
Post a Comment