Back in February I tripped over a curb and hurt BOTH feet. Im not normally a clutzy person, so I guess if I was going to fall I needed to really do myself in hu? After seeing a foot Dr I found out that I sprained my right ankle pretty badly and also tore the ligaments in my left big toe. Finally after months of pain, a hard purple bump forming on my left toe, my toe not bending the correct way anymore, and still not being able to wear any shoes..I revisited the Dr to see why my feet werent the typical 4-6 weeks to recover from sprains that you normally hear about. Turns out that the ligaments in that toe healed incorrectly into a tight little ball, which in turn changed the bone structure in my foot. So on May 1st I went in for foot surgery at the wee hours of the morning. I have to admit I was very scared. More scared than I was for either of my c-sections. I guess with those, I came home with a prize...this I was just coming home with pain. Also, Id never been put under durring any sort of surgery and that sort of worried me. But my Dr was amazing and she really took care of me. The hospital visit was pretty quick. I showed up at 6am, got all drugged up and fell asleep about 7am, woke back up about 8:45...then at 8:47...and then a 8:50...etc..haha It was very hard to wake up from the anesthesia. After controling my naseau as much as they could, they sent me home to recover..we were out the door and home by lunch. The surgery consisted of a 3 inch cut on the top of my foot, they re tore the ligaments in that toe and sewed them into the correct place so they'd have a chance to heal correctly this time. They also cut off that bump of bone that was sticking out and so painful. It ended up a little bigger than she expected once she got in there, a little bigger than a lima bean she said. It has been by far one of the most painful things Ive gone through with my body (and Zach was pretty tough on my organs when I was pregnant! haha). The pain Ive had the last couple weeks has been so much more than I expected it to be. But Im happy to say that Im no longer on crutches and am starting to feel better day by day. And the painful lump is gone. :) I still cant bend the toe yet and its very painful to the touch and to too much pressure walking and I cant wear a shoe yet. But I keep reminding myself that Im only starting week three, and the process can take 6-8 weeks. And in 8 weeks, Im rewarding myself with a shoe shopping trip.
One of my nurses was all about the boys. She rounded up all sorts of fun things for them to play with. She even suited them up with Dr fittings to trick my dr into thinking they were dr's too.

Eli pretending to work on my foot when we got home.

Dr Eli holding a very loopy Mommys hand as she relaxes on the couch. This was very shortly after coming home.

Jake and the boys have all been very wonderful to me through my recovery. (even our neighbor boy was a great help and walked Eli to the bus in the mornings the week following my surgery) I dont think that Zach really got what the surgery really meant until he went with me to my first follow up visit and she asked him if he wanted to see Mommy's owie when she unwrapped it. He said sure and came to look. She told him that he had to be really careful around Mommy at home and he said ok and went back to playing with her toys. A week later when I was able to change the dressing on my own at home I asked Eli if he wanted to see it too and he said yes. After he looked he go a little woozie looking and said "oh" and walked away. Not sure he's fond of blood? haha
So its been a long process, and I continue to hobble around like a penguin. But I have my shoe shopping to look foward to soon. And as an extra perk, my right sprained ankle has gotten much stronger taking on so much of the extra work of walking through my recovery.
No comments:
Post a Comment