Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Little Professor.

Some of you may have already heard Zachs big news, but for those of you who havent..here you go!
Ive always been very big on getting the boys to the their pediatrician and dentist for everything I think is important. Their health is very important to me, but their comfort going to these places is even more important. I was afraid of the denstist growing up, and still tense up for a simple cleaning. So I started the boys at a young age of 2 at the dentist, even though its not recommended until atleast 3. Our dentist says typically children that young wont sit there, but I insisted because I wanted them to become comfortable before the real work began as they aged. It took a few visits of playing with the tools and enjoying the visit before either of them completed a full exam at the age of 3. Prevention is very important to me in health. When I took Eli to our eye dr about 8 months ago for a scratch he got on his eye, the dr mentioned looking at it again at his year eye exam. I had put so much thought into all the other dr's that I never gave an eye dr a thought until he said that. I assumed that since childrens eyes change so much from birth to 6 years that there was no need to go in for year appointments unless you had concerns. He explained to me that its fine to do that, and most parents do. But that in some cases you can catch things in those years that you could correct but couldnt correct later in life after their eyes have set their ways, and its so worth it. That was all it took to get me to make appointments for the boys. Eli's eyes = perfection. Zachs were another story. We had to split his appointment into two days, because half way through the first he melted down...see older posts explaining his "im tired now" meltdowns, litterally melting to the floor and pretending to be asleep. Anyways, Im so glad we did the appointment because Zach happened to be one of those cases where we could catch something early and hopefully correct it so that his vision progresses how it should over the next few years. His left eye is great for where it should be at his age. His right eye he has an astigmatism in it. Jake and I both have them, Jake in one eye and me in both..so of course I immediatley felt at fault. Long story short, in a child his age if the brain gets tired of telling that eye to work and its cant because of the astigmatism and it taking more work then the brain will give up on it and just use the good left eye. Causing his right eye to become lazy and not progress its vision to its full potential ending in bad vision and glasses all his life. So....duh duh duh.....

....were training his eye to not fight his brain and to progress how it should. He has an eye patch that we use to cover his good eye for a little at night, which makes the bad eye HAVE to focus and do its job. He calls it his pirate patch. Then he has the cutest little pair of glasses that he picked out, Go Diego Go ones, that have a slight prescription in the bad eye side that he is to wear as much as he'll let us make him. The dr said as little as 1/2 hour a day is ok....but he's in love with his glasses and has been wearing them most of the day since we picked them up 2 days ago. He calls them his "baby daddy glasses" because Daddy has glasses very similar in shape to his...but without the Go Diego Go zebra stripes of course.
This was his first attempt at smiling for the camera in his new baby daddy glasses for me..I had to tell him not to look so silly the next time. haha

The eye dr gave him this little metal container full of different eye wear magnets in it...here he is showing it all off to big brother Eli. He carries this and his eye glass case around with him most of the day giving me instructions on how to take care of his glasses and such, that he learned from the dr..."ok mommy?". He's doing so good with them, just another mommy moment when I find myself saying "how did you get so big?" And I have to say, he looks soooooooo stinkin' cute!
At first I was very sad that my little baby had to wear glasses. All the normal mommy fears rushed over me...will he get teased? will he hate them? etc. But then I flashed to my all time favorite tv show..Jon and Kate plus 8 and their cute little man who wears glasses and how I always think how cute he is in them and I got this rush of mommy awwww instead of the fears I initially had. The glasses and eye patch are not necessarily a lifetime thing. Hopefully we have caught the problem early enough, and with the great excitement he has for them we hope that we can get his eye to the level it should be at and we can get rid of the glasses in no time at all. Although, Im not sure now that he will willingly let them go...he loves them alot.
At the store yesterday he put them on and layed back in the shopping cart smiling all sweet. Everyone we passed in the store would look at him and smile and make "awww he's so cute" comments. He was so eating it alive. Mabye thats why he likes the glasses so much.

2 comments:

The VanDarlings said...

Josh and I were recently talking about how much Zach looks like Jake, now he really DOES have a mini me. Oh I can see it now.....

waibelfamily said...

are you saying I should just move out now? haha!