I love arts and crafts and science experiments AND summer time. I recently canned a ton of dill pickles and had lots of extra vinegar left over. In a random google search of experiments that use vinegar I came across a really cool experiment that needed an egg and vinegar and sounded REALLY cool. Here's what you do... Put an uncracked raw egg in a cup and cover it with vinegar. Let this sit for a good 12 hours, occasionally checking on it. I didnt tell the kids what would happen, I wanted them to guess along the way.
You'll start to see a white foam forming on the top of the glass probably 4 or so hours in, this is the shell!
After about 12 hours, tada!, we had a naked egg. The outer shell makes way, leaving the thin membrane in place. You can pick it up, squeeze it a little...we even bounced it on the counter a few tiny times. Its see through and you can see the yolk floating around in there. It was pretty neat. My camera didnt quite capture the color of the egg correctly though, it came out more yellow for some reason.
Oh but we didnt quit there. After we played with it for a bit, we dumped out the vinegar and put the naked egg back into the glass and filled it up with water and let it sit for another 12 hours or so. The thin membrane allows the water to absorb into the egg...GROWING THE EGG! See Eli's difference in a brand new un naked egg compared to the naked egg. Pretty neat little trick I must say.
Friday, August 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment