We had a great week, and I had quite a few proud me moments I have to admit. Setting up our huge tent on my own, when Ive never even helped put it up in the past with Jake. Not being afraid of the big boogy man in the dark at night (yes I have an overactive imagination I admit it!). Being able to be the good guy (playing and being fun and crazy to entertain) and the bad guy (setting and enforcing the rules and dissapline) as a single parent all week long to my boys (man thats hard work playing both roles!!). And then my final one is making it to the top of Independence Rock and staying longer than a second. I have a HUGE fear of heights, and am also blessed with severe panic attacks...mix the two together, like up on Independence Rock and its no bueno. The hike was beautiful, but the last 5 minute incline was awful. I was so afraid to be close to the edge, and kept visioning my kids plumeting off the edge. So after sitting maybe 10 minutes tops, I snapped at my husband through panicky shallow breaths...."Get the kids, I need to go down!" I was proud I went up it, but it was time to come down now...and as soon as we were off the rock I was back to good. So Im proud, I didnt conquere the fear..but I definatley faced it a little bit. 

Eli and Josep in their "volcano"
Claudia, Julia, Zach, Eli and Josep...getting ready to hike.
Poor Zach was so tired that two nights in a row he passed out on the table durring dinner time.
Eli and Josep in their "volcano"
Claudia, Julia, Zach, Eli and Josep...getting ready to hike.
Poor Zach was so tired that two nights in a row he passed out on the table durring dinner time.
Our first morning there we woke up to chipmunks running all over our site, even across our tent. You could see their little feet prints as they ran over our tent above our heads. So Eli, smart little boy he is, made a chipmunk trap out of glowsticks and fruit loops. His plan was for them to bite the glow sticks so their mouths glowed at night! But they just kept stealing the entire thing.
We went around the group on our last night asking what everyone favorite part of the week was. We included Eli and Josep in this. Eli's answer was the Underground and making new friends. Joseps list kept growing, but the ones I really liked the most that he said were the volcano, meeting new friends, and his cousin Eli. How stinking cute is that! And then Julias was the treasure trunk...I think all of us agree on that one! Thanks Aunt Joan and Uncle Paul!!!
It was a great week and Im very glad I took the boys down for the entire trip. I faced some fears, and they played till their hearts were full. We swam, hiked, visited with family, the boys slept in for me every day until atleast 10:30am and came home covered in bruises and scratches to prove the fun they had. We cant wait until next year when there will be more family there to enjoy it with.

No comments:
Post a Comment