Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sherwoods Relay for Life 2009

Relay has become such a huge part of our family. The boys enjoy making special bags for Papa and finding them at night durring the luminaria ceremony.

Eli's bag

Zachs bag...which is a funny story. I handed the boys each a bag and said to decorate it for Papa for Relay and I let them do their thing. Eli's said "Papa love Eli" with a track drawn on the back with luminaria bags in a circle. Very creative I thought. Then Zach hands me his and it has three stick people on it. I asked him to tell me about it. So he proceeds to tell me that the one person on one side is me, the one on the other side is him when he was in my tummy and the person in the middle is just a person. I asked why he drew that for Papa and he says because he came out of my tummy. When I asked if he drew him in my tummy, why wasnt he IN my tummy on the page but instead all the way across the paper. He said no mommy, look better Im in your tummy. So maybe he was tired that day, or maybe I just wasnt understanding and using my imagination correctly that day? I thought it was cute though, and why it has anything to do with luminaria or relay or Papa...Im not sure. But I thought it was a cute little story. hehe

Eli listening to the band, Trigger Happy. Doesnt he look so tired? haha

Zach and Daddy snuggling listening to Trigger Happy.

Signing the wall of hope, Im in the white hat.

This year we hit Pacesetter! Love my committe friends Ive made over the years.

My most favorite Survivor friend, Selma. I heart this lady. (photo by Bruce McCammon)

We had a HUGE committee this year. I have made some really great friends in some of these gals and will always have a place in my life for them. (photo by Bruce McCammon)

This year I was Auction chair again. It was a very great year despite the economy! Well done job by all that donated!

I bought the boys these fun light up Relay for Life things, they love them. Unfortunaltey the picture turned out funny. They told us they wanted to walk the track alone so we said hold hands and go. They got about 30 feet and came back, Zach crying. I think they were pretty tired from their fun sleepover at Grandma Rita and Grandpa Hectors the night before.
Relay has such a huge spot in my heart. Losing my Dad at a young age, and watching him battle cancer for so many years before that...I cant imagine not having relayin my life and fighting for a cure so that others dont have to experience what our family did. Unfortunatley I am taking a year off from Committee. I have committed to some other fundraisers for the upcoming year with school and just cant take on both. So I'll have to find some way to stay connected to relay while Im not on committee. Maybe a team? Im not sure yet, Ive got a few months to decide still. For now, were enjoying the last couple weeks of relaxing summer!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I love to Relay - it is such a powerful and amazing experience to see so many people come together to fight for a cure. This year we took Jace to his first Relay, and although he doesn't understand the meaning behind it, he had a great time! Thank you for sharing your pictures!